Dr. Sunita Godara
Former Asian Marathon Champion & now Health & Welfare Missionary
An eminent international athlete marathoner of repute. She has completed 76 Full marathons (42.2km) till date and won 25 Golds, 12 Silvers & 13 Bronze medals across the globe in 26 countries and a total of 120,000 Kms covered in training. Record of more than 200 international Races includes 123 Half Marathons (21km) in Marathon running carrier till 2010.
Having won international marathons in Asia in Bangkok, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia and Japan, Egypt, Holland, Japan & among top ten in Paris, Melbourne – Australia, Macau, Poland, Italy, Istanbul, Belgrade, Las Vegas. She has done world famous Boston, Berlin & London Marathons.
In 1992 won the 3rd Asian Marathon Championship Gold & Bronze Medal in 1996.
For last one decade since 2006 Dr. Sunita is involved with Marathon organization professionally as the “Elite Indian Marathon Runners Coordinator” with top 12 Marathons in India. Dr. Sunita Godara has created a support system for Runners “Elite Marathon Club” Pan India. She is the Marathon Ambassador & Race Director for many City Marathons.
Olympic Torch Bearer/Escort Runner at the Atlanta Olympics 1996.
Dr. Sunita Godara – Current positions
- Member Consultative Committee on Prohibition and Prevention of Drug Abuse of Directorate of Prohibition, Govt of NCT Of Delhi.
- Founder Member of Clean Sports India – National convener on Drug Abuse Prevention.
- Member committee on Sexual harassment at work place, Narcotics Control Bureau HQ, Min. of Home affairs, GOI.
- Organizer of Mass Awareness Events in Delhi – Health Runs, Seminars, Thematic Poster Competitions and Cultural Shows with School, NGOs, NCC, Scouts, Police & Army.
- Anti-Drug Campaign initiative by Dr. Sunita Godara is now in its 14th year in collaboration with various stakeholders – Dept of Prohibition, Delhi Govt, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Narcotics Control Bureau and the PSUs along with Educational Institutes.
- Operating since 2007 “Stree Shakti Kendra” for Urban Slums Covering Vocational Training, Health, Education, Life Skill Education and Legal aspects of Women Empowerment.
- HFT Taekwondo Academy has covered 17000 Girls till date from Slums & MCD Schools – train them Self Defense so far under “HFT Women Safety Program”. Since 2007 total 35 Black Belt & national athletes have made success stories.
- Dr. Sunita Godara as Guest Speaker to various National & International Conferences on Sports, Drug Abuse, and HIV/AIDS, Women empowerment (London, Belgrade, Macau, Seoul, many cities in Japan, Malaysia & Singapore. In India – National Institute of Social Defense, FICCI, PHD House, Colleges, Schools.
- Panelist on various TV channels on Social issues, Sports controversies, Women issues and against corruption – NDTV, Zee, News Nation, Aajtak, India News, Shri News, 4Real News, Times Now, News X, Focus TV, Channel 1, India Today, India TV.
- India against corruption Movement (Anna Andolan) Core committee Team member – One of the founder members of India against corruption (As eminent Sports person in 2010).
- Brand Ambassador –“Watch your Health” Program
Awards & Honours
- 1994 Sports Awards – Bhim Award from Haryana Govt,
- 2010 “Life time sports Achievement Award” from Women Int’l Networking,
- 2012 “Sports Achiever Award” from Jaipur Marathon organization.
- 2012 “Rajiv Gandhi Award for Peace & Social Development” by the Indian Institute of Human Studies.
- “Sports Icon of the year 2013” Award by Parwaz Media on the occasion of the Int’l Women’s Day.
- “Sports Achiever Award” by Inner wheel Club on the Int’l Women’s Day.
- 2014 on the World No Tobacco Day “Outstanding services in the field of Drug Abuse Awareness” by Bhagidari Jansahyoug Samiti ,Dept of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of India.
- 2013 -2015 “Brand Ambassador” of Roorkee Marathon; Anup Shar Half Marathon; Thrill Zone Run – Delhi & Dehradun since 2015.
- 2014 “Women Social Entrepreneur” achiever’s Award by Delhi Govt.
- 2015 “Kalpana Chawla Excellence Award” for Sports Achievements.
- 2015 “Pride of Nation” Awarded by Bhavishya Art & Culture Society.
- 2015 “Women ICON Award for Sports” by Jayoti Vidyapeeth, Jaipur.
- 2016 “International Running Award” by Indian Runner’s World Magazine.
- 2016 “Hindustan Gaurav Samman” at Kurukshetra University
- Honorary Doctorate awarded from Banasthali University, Rajasthan in the recognition of the field of sports & Fitness (2015)
- “Keep Fit” Book published in 1989
- Masters in Public Administration- 1980 Rajasthan University, Jaipur.
- Diploma in Yoga- 1982 from Vishwayatan Yogashram, Katra Jammu.
- Diploma in Athletics- 1986 from National Institute of Sports, Patiala.
- Certificate courses in Fitness, Aerobics (1990 & 2006).